CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

August 4, 2008

Youth Conference

The rest of my busy week was taken up by Youth Conference. It was great! Partially because I got to sleep in my own bed at night, but the theme "Whom Say Ye That I Am" was awesome, and we did service for 3 days!

I missed Dr. Lund come speak on Wednesday night because I was at my play-off soccer game (we won and it rocked) but I heard that he was phenomenal.

Thursday morning my ward was able to go do Baptisms for the Dead at the West Jordan Temple. What a spiritual, and powerful experience. Later that day we were able to go up to a camp and serve children and teens who suffer with down syndrome and other types of disabilities. This was such a humbling experience, and for anyone who knows me knows that I love doing these kinds of things with kids. They were just adorable. Later that night we had a guest speaker come. Then they gave each youth their very own copy of Jesus the Christ, and challenged us all to read it. I have been dying to do this, so I am very glad for this opportunity.

Friday morning we hiked up to Cecret Lake and had some wonderful discussions up there. The whole experience was peaceful, and there is an amazing young woman in my ward. I can't remember exactly what the disease is, but she has to wear leg braces and walk around with a walker. She has basically lost all ability to control her own legs, and she can only walk very short distances without some sort of assistance. Keep in mind that she is only 13 years old and she has been like this since she was little. The hike was tough in some parts, even for those of us who could walk, but she got on this special bike that she has, and she biked through what she could without complaining at all. And then in the parts that got too hard, and she couldn't do it by herself, her dad carried her the rest of the way. What a powerful experience to witness. This summed all of Youth Conference up right there. That is exactly what Jesus Christ does for all of us. He lets us go until we can't do it alone anymore, and then He carries us when He knows we are struggling. That moment was one of the most humbling, touching moments I have ever witnessed. We could all take a lesson from this family I think.

The experience was great and I'm so glad that I was able to go an enjoy it.

1 comments:

Mike and Shelby said...

What a neat experience, Carly! I always loved Youth Conference, and the amazing growth that happened each year!